*THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER UPDATED*

My new website can be found at http://www.quernuscrafts.co.uk/

Purple Landscapes Nos 1, 2 & 3 (6 August 2009)

(No 1 - 5cm x 4.5cm) I have had a lot of fun experimenting with marbling techniques and hand-rolling. After my first forays into this area last week, I wanted to have more control over layering colours.

In this first attempt, I mixed four shades of purple and then started with a layer of the palest shade. In this panel, you can only see three shades, as hand-rolling the panels distorted the panels more than I had anticipated. Where the colours were not completely mixed, there is a pleasing marbling effect which adds to the overall painted effect. Rolling each layer down to about 2mm thickness was quite hard work, and the panels never seemed to go where I intended, which added to the fun of it! After layering all four colours, I then looked for the best part of the pattern and trimmed it accordingly.

(No 2 - 3.5cm x 3cm) As a result of trimming the rolled out clay, this threw up a number of additional panels, and I had a great time sifting through the scraps and finding attractive patterns to use again.




(No 3 - 3.3cm x 2.6cm) I loved this effect which I achieved because the clay was being stretched very thin, leaching out some of the colour. So the dark bands at the bottom of this panel are in fact the same purple as the dark bands in Nos 1 & 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment