*THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER UPDATED*

My new website can be found at http://www.quernuscrafts.co.uk/

Bobble Hat Cat and Rainbow Scarf Cat (b.14 March 2010)

Bobble Hat and Scarf Cats

Do you know, it's been a while since I blogged about some of my more 'mainstream' designs - looking back, I've only tended to write about the commissions I've made (and granted, I've had a lot of those :) So I thought it would be fun to reintroduce a couple of old favourites (and when I say old, I first made this design back in October, so they're hardly about to draw their pension!)

I've recently discovered a new way of making stripy scarves that I'm rather pleased about. When I first started making Rainbow Scarf Cats, I took two thin logs of contrasting clay, twisted them tightly together and then rolled them sideways on through the pasta machine. Then I trimmed the two long edges and hey presto, the scarf was made. There were some limiting factors to this method, although on the whole it worked very well. Firstly, it was difficult to use more than two colours, and sometimes the resulting scarf wasn't wide enough after rolling the twisted log through the pasta machine.

New Rainbow Scarf Cat

I got the idea for the new stripy scarf from the wedding couple cats I made a few weeks ago in May (I'll be writing about them soon when I've caught up with the backlog!) I made up pinstripe trousers for the groom by layering black and grey sheets of clay together, cutting them in half, stacking the halves on top of each other, and reducing the cane down so the stripes were very thin. I applied this same technique for the stripy scarf using lots of different colours of clay, which resulted in lots of neater stripes of as many different colours as I wanted!

Rainbow Scarf Cats and Bobble Hat Cats are available for sale in my Folksy shop - click here to see the full range.

5 comments:

  1. I love the stripy scarves on the Cat! Reminds me of Doctor Who. I feel a custom order coming your way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you have my button on your blog! That delights me to no end, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are more than welcome! I love reading your comments, and am delighted that you like my wee creatures! And yes, Dr Who Cats are on the to-do list (Tom Baker-era, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh.....I do like this one!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete